What are Open Educational Resources (OER)?
OER are teaching, learning and research resources that reside in the public domain or have been released under an intellectual property license that permits their free use or re-purposing by others. OER include textbooks, course materials, streaming videos, tests, modules, full courses, software, and any other tools, materials or techniques used to support access to knowledge.
OER is a relatively new movement in education; educators and learners as well as learning institutions are driving its development. Open textbooks, a subset of OER, can help improve the learning experience for students while also making education more affordable.
Textbooks & Online Learning Support Materials
- MERLOT: Multimedia Educational Resource for Online Teaching: merlot.org/merlot
- OER Commons: oercommons.org
- OER Commons – Open Textbooks: oercommons.org/hubs/open-textbooks
- Open Textbook Library: open.umn.edu/opentextbooks
- SUNY Open Textbooks: textbooks.opensuny.org
- OAPEN Library: oapen.org/home
- Flat World Knowledge: flatworldknowledge.com
- BCcampus OpenEd: open.bccampus.ca
- OER Meta Finder: mason.deepwebaccess.com/mason